Married at First Sight is an Australian reality show that airs on the Nine Network. The format of the show is based on a Danish Franchise of the same name.
The concept of the show is very intriguing and fun. There are three experts in the show who matches four couples out of their instinct. These four couples are meeting each other for the first time and decide to marry. But there is a slight modification in the Australian version of the show. Unlike other versions of the show the couples here in Australia do not partake an officially legal marriage due to legal rules of the country. They rather participate in a commitment ceremony in which they obligate to stay together as a married couple.
The couple spend there so named wedding night in a hotel and get to know each other a bit. The next day they leave for honeymoon to some exotic location. This is all part of the show. Now after returning from their honeymoon they spend a month together and now it is left upon their discretion to decide whether they want to stay together or not.
Married at First Sight 2018 requirements:
- You must be over 25 years of age on the day of application
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident for at least 2 years to participate
- You must be single and genuinely looking for love
- You will be required to provide proof of identity (driver’s license or passport or extract of birth certificate)
About Married at First Sight
Married at First Sight Season 1
The first season of the show was premiered on Nine Network on 18 May 2015. Lachlan & Clare broke up their marriage but remained good friends. Roni & Michael decided their marriage is not working and took a split in the fifth episode only. Zoe & Alex are the only couple who continued their relationship and are still together. The couple is even expecting their first child. James & Michelle broke up immediately after the show and did not remain in contact.
Married at First Sight Season 2
Immediately after the first season ended, Nine Network announced the release of second season of the show which started airing on 4 April 2016.
About the participating couples:
- Erin & Bryce decided to separate after a year of staying together.
- Christie & Mark had a split only in June 2016.
- Clare & Jono decided to split up only in fifth episode since Clare was not able to take tantrums of Jono.
- Simone & Xavier- Simone decided to walk away from the relationship and they are now separated.
Married at First Sight Season 3
The show returned for its third version in February 2016. This time the show took a bold move in which they casted a same sex couple.
About the participating couples:
- Keller & Nicole continued their relationship after the show ended.
- Mark & Monica decided to break up after 6 months of the show.
- Jess & Dave called off that marriage only in fifth episode since things were not working well between them.
- Bella & Michael decided to split up as soon as the show ended.
- Craig & Andy had an abrupt breakup. Craig decided to walk away from the relationship during the honeymoon, due to a lack of intimacy.
Married at First Sight Season 4
Then the channel decided on to telecast the fourth episode of the show which started airing from January 2017. This time the cast of the show was extended to include 10 couples. Out of all 10 couples only five of them could keep up their relationship those five couples are – Anthony & Nadia, Simon & Alene, Andrew & Vanessa, Michelle & Jesse and Sharon & Nick. While the remaining couples called off their marriage for one reason or the other.
Till now the show is receiving positive reviews only and seeing its popularity among the audience it has been renewed for a fifth season. The fifth season of the show is to be telecasted in 2018.